Our Guide to Voting Abroad in the 2021 Federal Election

 It only takes 5 minutes to apply to vote by mail, you can do so by clicking here!

The process is simple and straightforward. Canadian citizens who live abroad may apply to be on the International Register of Electors, which will allow them to vote by mail-in special ballot in federal general elections, by-elections, and referendums.

If your application is accepted:
  • Elections Canada will send you a confirmation letter and add your name to the International Register of Electors, the list of Canadian electors living outside Canada who are eligible to vote by mail.
  • At each election in which you are qualified to vote, Elections Canada will automatically mail a special ballot voting kit to the address you provided.
  • Your name will stay on the International Register of Electors as long as you remain eligible. You will not have to re-apply to vote by mail at each election.
Once you have applied and received your Special Ballot Voting Kit in the mail you need to immediately fill it out and mail it back to Elections Canada in time for counting of the 2021 election.  Election Day is September 20th and international mail is slow due to Covid!

Points to keep in mind:

1. Make sure to have your last address before leaving Canada on hand

It determines your electoral district. You will vote for a candidate in the riding containing this address.
  • You must use a physical address. You cannot use a post office box or rural route, except in areas where no other physical address is available.
2. Choose the address where you want to receive your special ballot voting kit

Most people provide their home address. If you prefer, you can use the address of a Canadian embassy or consulate as your mailing address, if you arrange it with them beforehand and give them your contact information.

3. Prepare your supporting document(s)

To apply online, you simply need ONE of these digital image(s) of your proof of identity:
  • Pages 2 and 3 of your Canadian passport,
  • Your Canadian citizenship certificate or card or
  • Your birth certificate, showing that you were born in Canada.
The images can be scans or digital photos, with each file having a size under 2.5 MB. PDF or any image file type (JPEG, GIF, TIF, PNG, etc.) are accepted. 
© 2021 Canadian Conservatives Abroad
Powered by Grapedrop